1 an unwholesome atmosphere; "the novel spun a miasma of death and decay"
2 unhealthy vapors rising from the ground or other sources; "the miasma of the marshes"; "a miasma of cigar smoke" [also: miasmata (pl)]
EtymologyFirst attested in 1665. From μίασμα (miasma) "stain, pollution".
Miasma may refer to:
- Miasma theory of disease, bad air causing disease
- Miasms in Homeopathy, a conception of the cause of chronic disease
- Miasma (album), 2005 album by the melodic death metal/hardcore band The Black Dahlia Murder
- Miasma (band), early 1990s Austrian death metal band
- a fictional poisonous gas:
miasma in Russian: Миазм
Miasma is also the title of the second album from the Black Daliha Murder.
BO, afterdamp, bad breath, bad smell, blackdamp, body odor, breath, chokedamp, cloud, coal gas, damp, effluvium, exhalation, exhaust, exhaust gas, fetid air, fetidity, fetidness, fetor, firedamp, flatus, fluid, foul breath, foul odor, frowst, fume, graveolence, halitosis, malaria, malodor, mephitis, nidor, noxious stench, offensive odor, puff of smoke, reek, reeking, rotten smell, smoke, smudge, steam, stench, stench of decay, stink, vapor, volatile, water vapor